SMILE! A positive attitude is infectious...FIRST AND FOREMOST!!
1) Wear your name tag on the RIGHT side to provide easy viewing when shaking hands.
2) Stand with open arms instead of arms crossed, you want to look inviting and approachable!
3) Be sure to introduce yourself!
- Say your name clearly: "Hello my name is Jane Smith. It's a pleasure to meet you."
- Shake hands.
- Use an elevator speech: Describe who you are or what you do in 10 seconds or less.
- Be clear about who you help and what problems you solve so people can remember you and refer you business.
- Include what might be a good referral for your business.
- Offer a business card, and ask the other person for his or hers.
- Be sure to ask about the other person's business. Be a better listener than a talker... listen for a reason to follow up.
- Follow up with the people that you meet.
5) Follow up with a thank you note, email or phone call. 90% of all business cards exchanged at events don't get followed up on, so by following up you will automatically be in the top 10!
6) Don't sit down until the actual meeting starts. Some of the best contacts are made BEFORE and AFTER the actual meeting!
7) Don't stay too long in one place. After 5 - 6 minutes, excuse yourself with a pleasantry such as, "It was nice meeting you..." continue networking to meet new people & form new contacts.
8) Approach groups where you don't know anybody.
9) IF YOU ARE AT AN EVENT - SERVING A MEAL: Select a dinner table where you do not know most of the people.
10) If you feel stressed, take a break & enjoy the moment! Networking is best when you feel relaxed!
Remember, you are here to build relationships, not make sales pitches.
Enjoy the process & HAVE FUN!!!
National Association Women Business Owners - Silicon Valley Chapter NAWBO
Marketing SIG Public Relations Director